Saturday, May 26, 2012

Thoughts on the new Toonami lineup, and Toonami in general

Hey everyone, just taking a break from my novel to talk about something that relates to my novel. Apparently I've gotten word that the Toonami programming block had just been brought back, and I'd like to congratulate the people that actually made the effort to bring it back. Since I heard it's premiering this night, I'd thought I would take the time to make a blog post about it.

Honestly, the lineup I've been hearing about, though fairly new, seems pretty lacking. It's all about anime shows, though it's nothing that I have against since anime and manga is the theme of my novel. Some of these shows you can already watch without having to wait late at night for, either. Speaking of which, why are these shows at three in the morning is beyond me, since this is normally reserved for shows on Adult Swim. This is not the Toonami I remember, nor the Toonami I grew up with.

To me, Toonami was more of an action cartoon/anime lineup hybrid that I looked forward to watching when I got back from school or when I was on vacation. It wasn't just about Dragonball Z, Naruto, Rurouni Kenshin, or other anime programs, but there was room for other programs, too. Megas XLR, Beast Wars Transformers, even vintage programming like Thundercats and Silverhawks. That's the Toonami I remember, not the "stay up late to watch Bleach or Ghost in the Shell" Toonami on Adult Swim. Granted, I can understand that this block doesn't have a lot of money right now, but showing it late at night when everybody and their grandmothers is asleep at night isn't going to do you any favors. Putting this block on Saturdays killed Toonami; bringing it back during the Adult Swim lineup when most of us are in bed runs the risk of failing as well.

To Jason DeMarco, the new vice president of Cartoon Network and Adult Swim, as well as ex-Toonami producer, if you can get enough money from ratings by die-hard fans watching this new block, please consider bringing it back to the Monday-Friday time slot during the afternoon. That way you will earn more fans and I might just watch it again. Until then, I see no meaning in watching what would best be described as a glorified Adult Swim block. This goes for anybody else involved with the Toonami block, too.

Thoughts, feelings? That's what the comments box is for. Just don't be rude about it lest you taste my ban hammer.

P.S., I seriously hope voice actors like Steve Blum, Wendee Lee, Cindy Robinson, Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, Cristina Valenzuela (or Cristina Vee, if you prefer), Michelle Ruff, Patrick Seitz, etc. will find this blog. I'd like to chat with them and even get them on board with my audio novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment