Saturday, June 23, 2012

Publisher Reconsideration

I was scrolling around the web finding good publishers and self-publishing groups when I decided to look back at PublishAmerica, my first publisher choice due to supposed incentives involving free publishing and no upfront payments. However, after reading some info regarding an abysmal BBB rating and a class action lawsuit, I quickly changed my mind over the choice.

First, a simple Google search will reveal all sorts of negativity involved with the publishing company, such as how it's a scam and how they're not really getting your book into stores. A forum board even covers the negatives and debunks the myths on their website. I've read a lot of bad things about their services, but what really took the cake was the fact that they didn't even bother to properly edit accepted work. Hell, there were issues of errors being added to manuscripts as well. Not good considering I could do a better job with an online service. Even worse than that, PA openly stated that some of the books they sell don't even sell one copy. Sometimes, for the books that did sell, they didn't even pay any royalties, a big no-no in the industry.

For the too long; didn't read crowd, Publish America, based on my research, is of the lowest of the low. It doesn't help that they have an F ranking on the Better Business Bureau's website. Of course, the madness doesn't stop there. This month, a lawsuit was filed on the company, with the authors that submitted work to PublishAmerica serving as the plaintiffs. You know a company has royally screwed up and broken so many promises when a lawsuit has to be filed on the company. Now I can see why the BBB gave this company an F rank. Well, back to the drawing board. Maybe find other publishers that will accept my work or just self-publish my work. Might find a good book advertising agency that will hopefully widespread my work, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment