Thursday, June 14, 2012

Veteran voice actors: how I want to convince them to do my audio novel

I was browsing on Facebook last night and today when I took notice that three voice actors, Crispin Freeman, Richard Epcar, and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, were going to be at Metrocon. Metrocon is located in Tampa, Florida, somewhat far away from where I live (though I reside in Florida). I perked up when I noticed that they were going to be at that convention, but my smile quickly turned into a frown when I realized the complications behind it. Tampa isn't really what you call nearby, based on where I live, and I also have to deal with schoolwork in the form of a mid-term test for an online class coming very soon. This test happens to be in the same schedule line as the convention (June 15 to 17). Even without those obstacles, I still have to deal with other complications, too.

First, apparently I have to hire these voice artists in order for them to actually do my work. Granted some of these voice artists did their work free of charge, but this is a very ambitious project and I was told by my peers that I would have to pay them for their work. Second, I intended to meet these voice artists at these conventions and talk to them about my novel so they could get a feel for it and talk about the characters they would voice. I'm very shy about it because these are extremely new people to me, and not only am I nervous about wanting to talk to them, but I'm afraid that they would say no to this project. That would be upsetting to me because they are voicing characters that are important to the themes of the novel, and how they are based on the voice actors I intended. If even one voice actor that I viewed as important turned my project down, that's it, it's shot to hell and I'd have to cancel the entire thing. It doesn't help that I'm not even finished with the novel yet; I'm only halfway through it. What if they took offense to some of the characters or ideas that I had in my novel? How are they going to react if I told them they were going to take part in this project? So many questions, and yet so many fears behind them. So many opportunities, and yet so many obstacles to overcome.

I feel a sense of coldness inside me just thinking about this issue. What am I going to say? What am I going to do? It's overwhelming that I have to figure out how to get around this dilemma. I want to work with them, but what if they don't want to work with me? I don't know what to do about it, either...

No comments:

Post a Comment